Ethical and Legal Issues for Health Care Professionals
HCA 503 Ethical and Legal Issues for Health Care Professionals
3 Semester Units
Ethical and Legal Issues for Health Care Professionals will help students prepare for the ethical issues they will experience on the job and teach them how to evaluate the right and wrong courses of action when faced with complicated legal problems. Through contemporary topics presented with a real-world perspective, students will develop the critical thinking skills needed for the moral dilemmas they will encounter in the health care environment.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Analyze what ethics is, its importance, and its application to certain health care dilemmas.
- Evaluate relevant ethical theories and principles.
- Examine various historical events that have had an impact on the resolution of ethical dilemmas.
- Assess a variety of ethical and legal issues that arise in selected health care professions (e.g., nursing, emergency services, laboratory, pharmacy, and radiology).
- Evaluate how various codes of professional ethics address a patient’s right to informed consent and self-determination.
If you are interested in taking this course, please explore a degree or certificate program below:> Explore Health Care Administration Programs
CCU Online Courses FAQ
Students can also obtain textbooks in their local areas or through online sources if they do not wish to utilize the University's rental library. There are many resources on the web for renting, purchasing, and selling textbooks. If you would like to purchase your textbooks, or are interested in exploring other delivery methods (digital or pdf versions), we have compiled a handy Textbook Resource Page for students who wish to explore other options.