HCA 503 Ethical and Legal Issues for Health Care Professionals
3 Semester Units
Ethical and Legal Issues for Health Care Professionals will help students prepare for the ethical issues they will experience on the job and teach them how to evaluate the right and wrong courses of action when faced with complicated legal problems. Through contemporary topics presented with a real-world perspective, students will develop the critical thinking skills needed for the moral decisions they will encounter in the health care environment.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Incorporate the concepts of ethics in the resolution of health care ethical dilemmas.
- Probe the importance, development, structure, and goals of ethics committees.
- Create an inventory of the important laws designed to protect each individual’s rights.
- Interpret how ethical and legal issues described in any single case have applicability to the various health professions.
- Discover how practicing one’s professional code of ethics can assist in resolving the day-to-day issues that arise during the care of patients.
- Assess the importance of understanding the physician-patient relationship.