EDU 642 Managing Conflict in Organizations
4 Semester Units
Managing Conflict in Organizations deals with the dynamics of conflict as a phenomenon. The management of conflict has developed into an interdisciplinary synthesis of human relations skills and strategies, which can be used to more effectively deal with dysfunctional interactions in the workplace, and in society itself. Using a variety of models which have been developed to explore the causes and resolution of discord among individuals and groups, this course explores the specific dimensions of managing conflict.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Interpret the roles relationships and context play in conflict interaction.
- Evaluate how psychodynamic processes, emotion, and social cognition interact in conflicts.
- Analyze the role culture plays in infl uencing conflict styles.
- Distinguish the differences between men and women in conflict styles.
- Examine how the coordinated management of meaning theory contributes to our understanding of the context of conflicts.