Legal Aspects of Education
EDU 547 Legal Aspects of Education
3 Semester Units
Legal Aspects of Education details the principles underlying school law and provides essential guidelines for school personnel to follow in their everyday work. Descriptive scenarios of landmark cases and concepts aid in understanding the context of legal principles as they apply to a range of school issues. This course explores how basic legal principles apply to educational questions and emerging legal issues, policies, and judicial decisions that affect classroom teachers, leaders, and students.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Distinguish between the federal, state, and local role in education.
- Examine the judicial tests used to assess Establishment Clause and Free Exercise Clause claims and the different remedies for violations of the two clauses.
- Identify what legal grounds can be used to challenge student classifications based on race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, and ability.
- Analyze the differences among the federal laws and constitutional provisions that are most relied upon in employment discrimination cases.
- Examine the rationale for establishing charter schools and the controversial issues involving these schools.
If you are interested in taking this course, please explore a degree or certificate program below:> Explore Education Programs
CCU Online Courses FAQ
Students are also welcome to obtain textbooks in their local areas or through online sources if they do not wish to utilize the California Coast University rental library. There are many resources on the web for renting, purchasing, and selling textbooks. If you would like to purchase your textbooks, or are interested in exploring other delivery methods (digital or pdf versions), we have compiled a handy Textbook Resource Page for students who wish to explore other options.