EDU 547 Legal Aspects of Education
3 Semester Units
Legal Aspects of Education covers the historical and contemporary legal issues affecting the organization and administration of schools in America. School safety, cyberbullying, copyright law and use of media are covered extensively. Additionally, isolation and restraining laws involving students with disabilities, landmark cases involving equal pay, strip searches, and freedom of expression, truancy and school vouchers—virtually every topic of concern to today’s educators—is covered with integrated cases.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the legal framework in which school districts operate.
- Identify school law issues currently faced by school administrators.
- Examine the functions of school board and district administrators in policy making.
- Understand the legal implications recognizing diversity in a multi-cultural society.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the California Education Code and other related legal documents.
- Make ethically grounded administrative decisions.