BAM 550 Leadership
3 Semester Units
Leadership focuses on leadership theories that seek to explain how traits, behaviors, or situational factors influence leadership style and effectiveness. Students will develop the competencies and skills to immediately start using these principles in their personal and professional lives. The course also explores the critical question of how well a leader is able to influence followers to achieve group objectives—this is what distinguishes effective from ineffective leaders.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Analyze classical and contemporary leadership theories.
- Examine the importance of managerial leadership skills.
- Differentiate transformational and transactional leadership.
- Evaluate the relationships among negotiation and conflict, influencing tactics, power, and politics.
- Examine the importance of ethical principles, personal and company values, and socially responsible leadership practices.