What You Need to Know About Student Success at CCU
The next best thing to knowing something is knowing where to find it –Samuel Johnson
Student Success is a Priority at California Coast University
Succeeding at a goal or task is generally the reason a person begins something. This is especially true for reaching an educational goal. At California Coast University, we take a multipronged approach to providing students with the learning resources they need to succeed in their studies. This means going beyond the study materials and additional resources suggestions provided with each course CCU teaches.
To do this, students are also encouraged to utilize the tips, methods, and tools found on the CCU website. Here’s just a taste of some of the goodies you’ll find:
- CCU provides a free download of its Strategies for Success and Action Planning Guide. This is a concise and realistic tool designed to help students organize their study time and graduation timeline. This tool helps create an action plan tailored to the student’s own study habits and schedule.
- The Student Success section of CCU’s website features a selection of valuable resources for enhancing the learning experience. Culled from a variety of sources including videos, articles, and websites, topics covered include mind mapping for learning retention and problem solving, advice on time management, useful productivity habits, and how to multitask effectively. This is a section to return to often, especially given that CCU updates this section periodically as new and interesting material becomes available.
- CCU offers a rental library to assist students in managing the high costs of textbooks. Please visit the school’s website for a complete description of how the rental library works.
- The Library and Information Resources Network, Inc. (LIRN). CCU utilizes this resource to offer library access to students. As stated on the school’s website, “LIRN provides a centralized management of electronic information resources that allow students to access multiple research databases through one portal… The LIRN® collection provides students with millions of peer-reviewed and full-text journal, magazine, and newspaper articles, e-books, podcasts, audio, and video resources to support their academic studies.”
- Writing Lab. The Writing Lab is designed to help students tackle written assignments and communicate in a manner that demonstrates an ability to analyze, synthesize, and evaluate the information he or she has learned in a given course. Plus, the Writing Lab is so much more. The value of the Writing Lab is permanent and lasting. This is because the ability to organize one’s thoughts and communicate those thoughts in a cogent and concise manner is crucial to all aspects of life and work.
- CCU provides a section on its website for Education Resources designed to help students explore the diverse field of education. However, you don’t need to pursue a degree in education to appreciate this valuable resource. The materials available on learning styles is as useful to the student as it is to the teacher.
- Administration and Management, Arts and Sciences, Behavioral Sciences, and Criminal Justice all have their own Resources page. But, you needn’t be enrolled in those areas of study to find some real gems. Students have access to materials from all the different schools. For example, the TED Talks videos are especially engaging and provide an opportunity to learn about subject areas different from your own major.
CCU Fosters a Culture of Success
With the resources available through CCU, you’ll find an environment designed to help you succeed. You might say, that CCU fosters a ‘culture of success’ for all students.
What do you think?
- What are some of your favorite online learning resources?
- What learning resources do you turn to the most?
- What would you say is your learning style? In other words, do you learn best by doing, talking and discussing, or through visual stimulation (such as viewing charts and graphs). Is your learning style a combination of styles?